Growing up on a small family farm near Cut Knife, Yens learned the value of hard work and collective action from his parents and grandparents. He believes in giving generously to his community to the best of his time and abilities. Whether he's teaching beekeeping classes or serving on the School Community Council at his daughters' school, he puts his heart into all that he does.
A lawyer for 20 years, he has represented employees, unions, small business owners, farmers, and seniors who were being treated unfairly. He has provided free legal advice to people and organizations in need of help.
For our efforts to be effective, he knows they must be directed and principled, not simply well-meaning. When he served as provincial NDP President in 2008 and ran for leader in 2009, he was not afraid to engage in tough conversations. He commits to doing the same for the citizens of Regina Northeast.
The Experience As A Strong Voice
- Lawyer with over 20 years' experience practicing law, specializing in work with individual families and small to mid-size businesses
- Chair of the Regina Estate Planning Council
- Ran for Leader of the Saskatchewan NDP in 2009
- Past President Saskatchewan NDP in 2008
- Past chair of the Regina Business Association
- Past chair of Tax South Section - Canadian Bar Association
- Μember of the Canadian Association of Farm Advisers
- Former law school student association president Osgoode Hall Law School
- Attended the College of Commerce, University of Saskatchewan
Commitment to Our Community
- Past council chair of St. Mark's Lutheran Church
- President of Regina & District Bee Club
- Fund raiser for the MS Society, Canadian Diabetes Association, Canadian Cancer Society and the Hospitals of Regina Foundation over the past 15 years
- Served as a board member of Saskatchewan Express and the Royal Lifesaving Society (Saskatchewan)
- Past President of the Davin School Community Council
- Coached in the Central Zone children’s soccer league
- Former National Youth Vice-President of the National Farmers Union
- Former member of the Salvation Army Advisory Board